Banana-less Sweet Potato Smoothie
I’ve tested a number of these in my early mornings after workouts and have fallen head-over-heels for this paleo, gluten-free, plant-based, and banana-less sweet potato smoothie! There is nothing better on a crisp fall morning like a thick, creamy, spiced breakfast to start your day! This is awesome hot or cold and is super simple to prep. Make it on its own as you head out in the morning or make a big batch to enjoy throughout the week.
The best part of this smoothie is how crazy delicious it is even though it’s extremely low in sugar. I made this with cauliflower instead of banana which I know sounds a bit daunting, but trust me- it’s crazy good. What the cauliflower does is add a creamy base to the smoothie and breaks up the starchiness of the sweet potatoes. You’ll find that the smoothie is so sweet that you really won’t miss the bananas at all.
I love getting creative with this smoothie and pairing it with loads of granolas and multi-colored chia puddings! There are a few topping tips below to get you started if you’d like to give them a whirl. Share your favorite creations with me with #carolynspantry!
- 1 small sweet potato, quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 large handful frozen cauliflower, slightly thawed
- ½ cup-3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons plant-based yogurt (I personally love plain cashew yogurt and almond yogurt)
- Granola (I personally love my chocolate, hazelnut, coconut granola)
- Bee Pollen
- Goji Berries
- Almond Butter
- Chia Pudding
3 VARIETIES OF MY FAVORITE CHIA PUDDINGS ARE BELOW
Vanilla chia pudding
3 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 cup almond milk
3 tablespoons plant-based yogurt
Turmeric Chia Pudding
Add ½ teaspoon turmeric and 1/8 teaspoon cardamom to the Vanilla Chia Pudding
Cacao Chia Pudding
Add 1 heaping tablespoon of cacao powder to the Vanilla Chia Pudding
- Start by steaming your sweet potato and carrots. Thoroughly wash them, add them to a double boiler with about an inch of water, and steam over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until you can easily stick a fork through the sweet potatoes. You can either leave the skin of the sweet potatoes on or off – whichever you prefer.
- The rest is super easy. Just add all your ingredients to a strong blender and blend until it’s nice and THICK! Enjoy on its own or with toppings! Have fun and get creative with your breakfast!