Glowed-Up Spiced Butternut Squash Smoothie
The air is getting far too chilly, yet my smoothie cravings are real, so making a seasonal smoothie is the only solution. My new obsession is this plant-based, gluten-free, and paleo super anti-inflammatory spiced butternut squash smoothie for those days when you're all about glowing up your morning. I’ve had this probably 3 times in the past week alone and am completely hooked. It’s great for giving a boost of vitamins in these winter months, yet tastes exactly like eating a spiced pie for breakfast!
You can enjoy this vibrant smoothie on it's own or become a true smoothie pro and enjoy it in jars or bowls. Lucky you, I'm going to show you how to do both. You're welcome :)
Looking for more vibrant breakfast or drink options? You'll love Vibrant Pitaya Ombre "Cheesecake" Bars, Matcha Rose Lattes, Banana, Spinach, and Spirulina Pancakes, Spirulina Energy Balls, and Banana-less Sweet Potato Smoothies.
RECIPE (Serves 1)
Time: 5 minutes
Butternut squash smoothie layer
- 1/2 cup frozen cubed butternut squash (you can either buy it in the store or steam it, then freeze it which is what I did)
- 1/2 small or 1/3 large frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons almond, cashew, or coconut yogurt
- teaspoon almond butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond milk or oat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon organic ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon reishi (optional)
- 1/4 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
Add-On Option 1 - Smoothie Jar
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons plant-based yogurt
- 1/4 cup almond milk or oat milk
- 1/4 cup your favorite granola
- almond butter
- rose petals
- orange zest
Add-On Option 2 - Smoothie Bowl
- your favorite granola
- coconut chips
- rose petals
- fresh blueberries
- wild honey
To make the smoothie, simply add all ingredients from butternut squash to ground flax seed in a powerful blender and blend until combined.
SMOOTHIE JAR METHOD
Start by adding about 1/4 cup of your favorite granola to the bottom of a glass or jar. Next, add the chia pudding layer. To make this, combine chia seeds, plant-based yogurt, and almond or oat milk in a separate small bowl. Stir to combine and wait a few minutes for the chia to absorb the liquid before adding the chia pudding on top of the granola. Next, add the butternut smoothie to the rim. Top with a bit of extra yogurt, some granola, orange zest, rose petals (because we fun!) and drip almond butter on the sides with a frosting applicator or fork. Oggle, then enjoy!
Smoothie Bowl Method
Load the whole butternut squash smoothie into a bowl, then top with subsequent half moon-shaped layers of toppings. Start with the granola, then add the coconut chips, rose petals, blueberries, and a drizzle of honey and voila!